gooseberries: strange name, tart fruit, amazingly yummy jam!
i spent saturday afternoon amongst a prickly bush gathering gooseberries for an old fashioned kentucky treat, gooseberry jam. if you have the chance to pick your own, jump on it... or look for them at your local farmers market. the are in season now!
gooseberry jam recipe
gooseberries are naturally high in pectin so all you need is equal amounts of sugar + berries.
1. snip the tails and stems from the gooseberries + rinse under cold water.
2. place the berries into a large pan + enough water to barely cover the berries.
3. bring to a rolling boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. add sugar + stir constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
5. bring the mixture to a rolling boil again + boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. check for gelling
7. process in sterilized canning jars.